Friday, July 14, 2017

Cue Rod Serling

Well to no one's real surprise, Scarlett came back this morning.  Initially I thought it might just be to grab some more forgotten items but...no.  She walked and fed my furry friend then found me and proceeded to tell me that we needed to get this (divorce) done in a friendly and civil manner.  And that was darn near the last anyone saw of friendly and civil.

She had or was going to (never did find out which) call her attorney and then her friend who's a real estate agent to list the house.  I went over all my earlier (months ago) arguments concerning how my buying her out would be simpler and far more convenient.  Well, fine.  But I need the cash quick she said.  And we were off and running.

Scarlett started out calm then crying, a little screaming, back to crying and then eventually back to calm.  We wound up having a 3 hour conversation that pretty much hit all the high and low points over the past year.  Why?  Don't ask me. I'm in a fog remember.

I won't bother running through all the details but in those 3 hours she somehow managed to change her mind on things quite a few times.  At the end of this, or so I thought it was the end, she went downstairs and reappeared about 20 minutes later with some lunch that I'd neither requested nor asked for.  Regardless, it was welcome.  But as she was putting it down she said "you still love me and don't want to divorce me and I still love you and don't want to divorce you".  That was strange since the just ended conversation had stopped on quite a different note.

About a half hour after this, she went across the street to my informant and proceeded to tell her that it was over.  And we were not going to the county fair.  Or we were going to the fair.  I'm fuzzy on that one.

Fast forward to this evening wherein I tell Scarlett that due to what I now know about some of her past activities as well as how I was treated over the past year, for a reason that I still believe did not warrant said treatment, I just can no longer look at her the same way.

Borderline/histrionic...I keep forgetting that part.  What you say and what they hear are many times two different things.  She took what I said and changed it to I could not stand the sight of her.  Huh?  And off we went.  Again.

That was a 2 hour conversation that (so far) ended with Scarlett actually becoming somewhat reflective and tying what has occurred in the past year to what she did very early on.  Not taking all the blame, which I would neither expect nor allow but it was a refreshing change from the usual scream fest that I've had to get used to.

Anyway, it was all very odd.  I half expected to see Rod Serling behind a potted palm somewhere.  But having no potted palms in the house I guess that probably wasn't going to happen.

Back and forth.  Up and down.  I want this.  No, I don't want that.  Get away closer.  This is why they say that those who live with this type of personality long enough, oftentimes feel that they are the ones who are insane.

3 comments:

  1. So, did you hear TZ's theme song? Or was it Hotel California?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ques up TZ theme song. Hits play, Oops wrong song, "Jaws" theme song begins to play, enter Scarlett.

    To late, didn't get locks changed soon enough.

    This is the image that played through my head after reading todays post. I totally want to see Serling behind the Palm.

    I hope all is well with Hoag and Ida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ida and Hoag are doing well and headed back to where they are calling home today. Couples counseling appointment today. Of course now she is on her good behavior...

    ReplyDelete